Jacob Spiker, who went by Jake, was born on February 8, 1881 in Pennsboro, Ritchie, West Virginia. He married Lillie Missouri Gay Zinn on April 14, 1907 in Bear Run, Ritchie, West Virginia at the age of 26. Jake worked as a farmer in at his farm in Ritchie County. He died on December 25, 1956 at the age of 75 in Ritchie County, West Virginia due to "Carcinoma of Pancreas". He was buried at the South Fork Cemetery in Ritchie County, West Virginia on December 27, 1956.
Did You Know?
When Jake was born:
Top News Headlines
- Feb 19 - Kansas becomes 1st state to prohibit all alcoholic beverages.
- Feb 24 - De Lesseps’ Company begins work on the Panama Canal.
- President - Rutherford B. Hayes
- Vice President - William A. Wheeler
- One of the Top Songs for 1881 – “My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean”
- Some of the Hot Toys / Games – “Parcheesi” “Snakes & Ladders” “Cap Guns”
- Average Costs throughout the US in 1881:
- Bread averaged $.02 p/loaf
- Milk would run you about $0.16 p/gallon
- The median home value was $4700
- The average income was $485 p/year